Planning Your Ohio State Room
Before getting started on your Buckeye room, it's important to come up with a bulletproof game plan. Otherwise, your room might end up looking like the Wolverines' defense - full of holes, uninspired, and disorganized.
Here are some things to think about:
Think about the overall room layout. For a basement, are you working with a large or small space? Is the room rectangular or L-shaped, or multidimensional? Is it a basement or a more formal living space? Depending on this, consider which types of features you would like the room to have.
For example, for larger basements, consider adding a recreational item like a ping-pong or pool table. On the other hand, if you are working with a smaller space, then I would recommend keeping it classy and sticking to the basics.
- Where do you want to place the big screen TV ? The tv should be placed in a highly visible area that will allow for both maximum seating capacity and visibility. Poor TV placement can ruin an otherwise well-planned Buckeye room.
- If you don't already have one, where will you put the Ohio State-themed bar?
- What percentage of your Ohio State room do you want to dedicate to decor that disparages michigan, and what percentage do you want to dedicate to the Buckeyes? I recommend displaying one disparaging item that references that state up north. I also believe that it shouldn't be placed too prominently in the room so that the disgusting blue and yellow don't tarnish the dominant scarlet and grey theme. Too prominent of a placement also gives them more respect than they deserve.
- Will Michigan fans like this be permitted in said Buckeye room?
Photo from midwestsportsfans.com
I don't recommend this, but if you decide to allow it, make sure to decorate it in a way that makes said Michigan fans as uncomfortable as possible. One way to do this would be to stock Buckeye bottle openers that play the Ohio State fight song or to prominently display photos or posters of memorable Ohio State victories over that state up north.
Also, if you are working with a larger space, it may be a good idea to include a small, fully padded "crying room" where Michigan fans can go following a Wolverine loss. This way, you can quickly escort them into the crying room before they have a chance to damage any of your valuable Buckeye decor. Of course, it should never be considered acceptable to watch "the game" with a Wolverine fan.
- Make sure that you are using the appropriate colors, namely scarlet and gray. I recently painted my basement a Valspar color called 'gravity' that looks very close to Buckeye Gray. If in doubt, use a buckeye t-shirt or jersey to match the colors. Do not, and I repeat, DO NOT alter the colors to appease your girlfriend or spouse. This is never acceptable and is also demeaning to you as a man.